Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's your favorite online recipe storage tool?

I'll admit, when it comes to recipe storage, I share the love. I have recipes saved in my email. I have a Google Documents folder full of recipes. And I have accounts with at least three online recipe sites that I can remember right off the top of my head. But there's one site that I use more than all of the others combined:

Allrecipes.com


I love Allrecipes for a lot of reasons. Let me count the ways

1. Membership is free! You can buy a "supporting membership" if you're so inclined, and honestly, I probably will at some point, but it's not really necessary in order to use most of the great functionality. The only thing I'd like to do that I can't do with the free membership is to save "custom versions" of recipes.


2. Flexibility! I can save recipes from their site. I can also enter my own personal recipes, or save links from other sites. If I want to be super meta, I can even save a note reminding myself which print cookbook or magazine a favorite recipe is in, if I don't want to take the time to enter it in the site.



3. The app. I don't have an iPhone. I'd love to have an iPhone, but then my daughter would forget what my face looks like because I'd be on the Internet all. the. time. I know this about myself. What I have is an iPod touch, which allows me to have limited functionality without having to pay through the nose for a (no longer unlimited--thanks a lot, AT&T) data plan.

But anyway, I shelled out the $2.99 for the pro version of the Allrecipes app, and it is great! I can take my shopping list to the grocery store, even if there's no wifi, but where the app really shines is in the kitchen. I can access online recipes without running back and forth to my computer every 2 seconds, or shanghaing my long-suffering husband into reading the recipe to me. Even if the recipe is on a different site, and I've just saved the link, it archives the link inside of the app and opens it there. It's amazing and I love it. You can get more info on the app at this page, or in the iTunes store.

I'm sure there's more to love about Allrecipes, but those are my top 3. Do you use an online tool to store your recipes? Which one is your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. That is really cool... Stephen has an iPod- I should put that on his. :-) I'm always borrowing my kids electronics! LOL

    ReplyDelete