Saturday, February 5, 2011

Favorite Recipe Friday: Slow Cooker Turkey Roast

I'm going to pretend that I actually finished posting this recipe yesterday and didn't get distracted by being snowed in with a needy toddler. Because it's just that good. You deserve to know about this recipe.

I have made this recipe to serve for everyday dinners and eaten the leftovers as sandwich meat (delicious, by the way). I've doubled and tripled it for Thanksgiving dinner, to rave reviews. It's easy and wonderful and I love it. The only trick is remembering to turn on the slow cooker in time in the mornings.

Slow Cooker Turkey Roast

Original Recipe
The only  modification I made to this recipe was to use a boneless roast, because I have a weird psychological thing about poultry bones. I don't know why; maybe because of all the boiled chickens I had to take off the bone as a child, maybe the weird tendons and gristle...eww. Anyway, here's how I do it.

1 boneless turkey roast (3 to 4 lbs.)
1 envelope onion soup  & dip mix

Rub the soup mix over the roast. Put the roast in a crock-pot. Cook for 8-10 hours on low.

That's it! You can use the drippings to make gravy, if you so desire; I did so on Thanksgiving and it was delicious. A little lumpy, because of the bits of turkey in the drippings, but the flavor! And, as previously mentioned, the leftovers can be sliced for sandwiches. Somehow, the soup mix infuses the roast with a lovely flavor all the way through. I've tried it with a bone-in breast roast, but the texture was a little weird and rubbery. I got lots of sandwich and other leftovers out of it (that's the meat I used in the Turkey Taquitos), but as a main dish, it wasn't as good as the boneless roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment